Sometimes sponsors allow travel without requiring that it be specified in the proposal budget or approved. Other times, however, domestic and foreign travel are treated distinctly and may require a sponsor's prior approval whether it was included in the award budget or not. The ORS New Award Notification indicates a sponsor's requirements regarding foreign or domestic travel.
Remember, any travel beyond the borders of the United States, including travel to Canada and Mexico, is considered foreign travel.
POSTAWARD ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Checks the ORS New Award Notification to see if travel requires sponsor approval
- If approval is required, prepares a letter of request
- Sends letter to ORS
- Assistant Director reviews the letter and confirms the terms and conditions
- Co-signs and confirms who will send the letter to the sponsor
DEPT or ORS
- Sends the letter of request to the sponsor
- Sends response to ORS or DEPT
- Shares sponsor's response with the other office (ORS / DEPT)
- If travel was not budgeted, DEPT submits a rebudget via the rebudgeting tool (REC)
- Sends copy of sponsor's response to TBS
DOCUMENTATION: OFFICES OF RECORD
- OSP: Keeps record of approval in award file
SPECIAL NOTES: International travelers who will be reimbursed from federal grants or contracts must use U.S. flag carriers for all of their travel (by ship or by air).
International travelers must consult with the Duke University Export Controls Program if they are going to a country listed on the Department of State's List of Embargoed and Sanctioned Countries or if they will be carrying laptops, scientific equipment, software, or technical data abroad.